as one of the many beautiful and unique wedding venues nestled in Fort Edmonton Park, Egge’s Barn is a bit of a hidden gem. while the Fort Edmonton Park website puts an emphasis on this venue’s aptitude for a western-styled wedding, we think it has a lot to offer for all different types of wedding.
basic info + logistics
Egge’s Barn is inside the Fort Edmonton Park, and is a large two-story barn with a natural wood exterior. the event space is on the second floor, above a space that was originally built to house teams of horses. caterers often set up the buffet in the ground level space, with guests heading downstairs to serve up, and then back upstairs to eat. the interior of the event space has wood on the bottom half, and white walls on the top half. there are large exposed beams, the lighting fixtures are wagon wheels with red lanterns, and the floor is wooden. there are large dutch windows that can be opened in the summer, a piano and projector screen available to use, as well as custom-built wooden tables that must be used and cannot be removed from the space. Egge’s Barn is perfect for weddings that have a rustic, vintage, woodsy, western or natural decor scheme.
capacity + features
while the barn seems quite intimate, it maintains a capacity of 120 people. there is a piano and projector screen available to use, as well as custom-built wooden tables and even a fire pit that can be booked with the venue (and the park staff will even get the fire going and tend to it throughout your event). there is no kitchen facility, and catering must be provided by one of Fort Edmonton’s exclusive caterers.
what we like
– it suits a rustic, vintage, western or country styled wedding perfectly.
– it feels intimate, even though it can host up to 120 people.
– the on-site wooden tables look great without tablecloths – a table runner alone would be enough to tie the tables into your decor.
– the lights are on a dimmer switch, which makes transitioning the mood throughout the night much easier.
– Fort Edmonton Park is awesome! you could have your ceremony in the park and guests will have the whole park to explore while you take photos. Plus – the whole park is beautiful!
what we don’t like
– there’s a lack of accessibility, with only a narrow and steep staircase up to the second-floor event space. there is no elevator, so it’s not wheelchair friendly and not friendly for your elderly guests, or anyone else who may have limited mobility. from my experience as a DJ, it’s not a lot of fun to carry lots of heavy gear up those stairs either!
– the bold red lantern/wagon wheel lights may not work for everybody and will be difficult to cover up.
– bathrooms are outside, in a separate building. this means going down the stairs and outdoors to use them… not too much of an issue, but those with weddings during a cold edmonton winter (or even a rainy summer night) may find that unappealing.
all in all, we feel that the positive factors of this venue far outweigh the negatives, and would definitely recommend Egge’s Barn at Fort Edmonton Park for your wedding. click here to visit the facility’s page for more info.
what do you think? have you got any pointers for couples considering using Egge’s Barn for their edmonton wedding? let us know in the comments!