it is our pleasure to introduce Sarah of VIP Event Consultants to you today! with years of experience in the edmonton wedding industry, and portfolio overflowing with classy, elegant designs, she’s just the person you want for a beautiful, well-executed wedding day. read on for some fab ideas for making your wedding unique, and Sarah’s recommendations for edmonton’s best – wedding-related and otherwise!
tell us a little bit about yourself & what you do in the edmonton wedding world!
I’m a previous theatrical Stage Manager gone rogue! My previous experience started out a little different, I loved working in theatre, and attended Grant Macewan for Theatre Production, where I specialized in lighting design, and stage management. The transition from stage to reception hall wasn’t all that dramatic.
I’ve been a wedding coordinator in the Edmonton area for over 10 years, and love every moment of it. Small weddings, or large, black or white, it’s all pretty much fantastic.
top five best things about your job:
– The people. Every couple is different and unique, and I love being a part of that.
– Creativity. The allowance to create beautiful and unique designs that compliment the couple.
– Working for myself. I love owning my own company, and having the flexibility to travel (only during off-season!) and work from home.
– Vendor relationships: Meeting different vendors in this city over the years has been a true joy, and those relationships help my clients and myself even more!
– Sending the bride/groom down the aisle. It will never get old, it’s my favourite moment of the entire day.
top five edmonton wedding vendors you love working with:
– River City Events: A company I’ve known since their start, no one can match the customer service quality that my clients receive there when we go decor and rental hunting.
– Delta Edmonton South: The Top of the Inn is my favourite venue in this city. Unsurpassed service, food and quality. I adore this venue!
– Hear By Request: I’ve had the pleasure of working with Hear By Request for my entire planning career, and they’ve never let me down! A great wedding DJ company.
– DJ Thomas Culture: Thomas never ceases to amaze my clients, and keep the party going! He’s a genuine person and it shows, my clients adore Thomas! Definitely my DJ guru.
– New Light Photography: I have been working with New Light for 10 years, and never ever have a complaint. Michael at New Light Photography is truly a hidden gem in this city. Personable, and amazing photos!
top five ways to make a wedding unique:
– Make it about YOU. As cliche as it sounds, it doesn’t happen often enough. Make sure the wedding reflects your personal style and tastes.
– Think outside the box. Guest tables don’t have to be rounds, what about squares? Giant family style? S shapes? It’s all possible.
– Don’t limit yourself to the ‘typical’ favours. Favours can be a donation to your favourite charity, with an explanation and history on the tables or place cards.
– Guest books don’t need to be books anymore! What about a guest book pinata from Theatre Garage? Smash it on your 1st anniversary and read all the amazing notes from your wedding guests.
– Slideshow? How about a photo wall? Slideshows often get overlooked, or ignored. Then they are over! Try a photo wall instead, then guests can browse and enjoy at their convenience.
top five best things about living in edmonton:
– Culture. Edmonton has a stunning culture scene, from artisans, to performers, musicians, unique DJ’s etc. Get out there and explore, enjoy it, because it’s waiting for you!
– Duchess Bake Shop. Need I say more?
– The people. We have such. amazing. people. Travel a bit, and then come home and realize how friendly and cool our population is!
– Our mayor. Don Iveson may not have won best mayor in the world like this best bud Nenshi, but he’s still pretty awesome.
– River Valley. Miles and miles of green, pathways, parks and fun. Explore the River Valley, the paths, the parks, everything! It’s so beautiful, and we are very lucky to live in such a green city.
top five things to do in edmonton:
– Outdoor movie nights at Churchill Square.
– Meat….at MEAT.
– Drinks on the O’Byrnes Patio
– Rapid Fire Theatre Improv at the Citadel
– Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing, walking, running, cycling in our River Valley.