it’s been a while since our last five top five, hasn’t it!? not to worry, today it’s my pleasure to introduce you to Gillian of Makeup by Gillian ML – another great makeup artist who loves dolling up brides for their big day. read on to get to know Gillian, her top 5 makeup picks, and some of her fave people and places in edmonton…
tell us a little bit about yourself & what you do in the edmonton wedding world!
I am a freelance makeup artist in Edmonton and have been doing makeup since I graduated in 2008 from the Masters Makeup Artistry diploma program at Blanche MacDonald Centre in Vancouver. I lived in Vancouver for about 5 years and did makeup for a local talk show there called Studio 4 on Shaw TV. I also worked on some student films, photo shoots, and the occasional wedding in Vancouver, but once I moved back home to Edmonton my freelance career really blossomed! I now focus my freelance career on weddings and I love being a part of a bride’s big day!
top five best things about your job:
– I would say my absolute favourite thing about being a makeup artist is seeing the look on clients faces when they see themselves all made up for the first time! Being able to provide women with an instant confidence boost and help make them their best selves for one of the most important days of their lives is super rewarding.
Other great things about being a makeup artist include:
– having a legitimate excuse to buy more makeup that I do not necessarily need
– being able to arrange my freelance schedule around my full time job
– having a creative outlet, and
– having the opportunity to meet and work with some really great people!
top five best beauty products
– Anastasia Beverly Hills DipBrow. This is a must-have for ladies with sparse brows like me! It helps you create a flawless brow, as thick or thin as you like!
– Too Faced Cosmetics Chocolate Soleil Matte Bronzer. I love a matte bronzer and this one is the perfect bronze color with no orange tones at all! As if it couldn’t get any better it also is infused with cocoa powder so it smells incredible!
– Urban Decay Primer Potion. I will rave about this eye primer until I am blue in the face! I will never do a makeup without it. It increases the color payoff of your eye shadow and makes it last all day long with no creasing!
– Tweezerman Point Tweezers. These are the holy grail of tweezers. They are able to grab the tiniest, most non-existent hairs and once you try them you will never be able to use slanted tweezers again!
– NYX Butter Glosses. I always have a minimum of 8 different lip glosses in my purse at any given time, and lately these are my go-to! They come in such an awesome array of colors and feel just like buttah on your lips. No stickiness!
top five edmonton wedding vendors you love working with:
– Sarah Seinen of Starseed Photography – I have worked with Sarah on multiple weddings and photo shoots. She’s so lovely to work with and produces the most amazing photos. I highly recommend her and will be asking her to shoot my own wedding!
– Hailey Nordstrom Photography – I have known Hailey for a few years and she not only takes some very beautiful photos, she is also just a lovely person!
– Special Event Rentals – This company has proven to be extremely reliable and accommodating. It is also really fun to take a look around their showroom and get some ideas for your own wedding!
– Hair by Kate Slemko of Salon Front – Kate has done my own hair for years and I have worked with her on weddings before. She is super talented and such a joy to be around!
– Hair and Makeup by Katie Grasdal – I have done makeup for a few weddings where Katie did the hair and she seriously knows what she is doing! I always recommend her to brides looking for a hair stylist.
top five ways to make a wedding unique:
– Make sure the wedding represents you and your partner. Incorporate themes and decor that represent you individually and as a couple!
– Not everyone loves to dance…I love the idea of setting up a game of life size Jenga for those who want to skip the dance floor!
– Bring your pup! My Sister’s dog walked down the aisle right in front of her with a sign around his neck that said “Here Comes the Bride”. It was insanely cute and made for some wonderful memories of him.
– Leave the microphone unattended. Maybe I’m asking for trouble but I really like the idea of, after the pre-arranged speeches, leaving the microphone available for anyone who would like to say a few words! It could at least make for a few laughs!
– I saw a picture from a wedding where the bride and groom’s Grandmothers acted as the flower girls. It totally stuck with me! Such a great idea and so sweet. If my Nana was well enough I would certainly ask her to be the flower girl!
top five best things about living in edmonton:
– Festival season. There are so many cool festivals and events that take place during the summer that you can never be bored! A few of my favourites include the Art Walk, a Taste of Edmonton, and the Fringe.
– Farmers Markets. To be fair, I haven’t exactly scoured Farmers Markets around the world, but I love the ones in Edmonton! My favourite one is definitely the 104 Street City Market. Few things make me happier than heading there with my boyfriend and my dog on a Saturday morning and getting groceries and goodies for the week!
– Restaurants. I’m no foodie, but a girl’s got to eat, and there are so many delicious restaurants in the city to check out. My favourites include Dadeo, Tirimisu Bistro, Culina, Blue Plate Diner, Louisiana Purchase, and Duchess Bake Shop for dessert!
– The people. Having spent a few years in Vancouver, I can confidently say the people here are the absolute best (and I’m not just saying that because they are my friends and family!). I find most people here to be kind, generous, and always willing to help out a neighbour!
– The opportunities. Edmonton is constantly growing and there are always new and exciting things happening. There are so many opportunities here to work, learn, create, and improve yourself and I hope I never take that for granted. I feel very lucky to call Edmonton home!